October 22, 2012

Making Connections

As a trainer at the campus fitness center, I have made a lot of aquaintances.  This semester, I have had the great pleasure of working with the women's soccer coach.  In one of our training sessions, she mentioned that she had a student from a few years prior that also studied abroad in Australia.  I was able to email and phone this contact from the information that the soccer coach gave me.  Being able to discuss some specific questions with a person that had actually studied in Australia, was truly helpful.  Jady, the name of this new contact, was able to tell me about living in hostiles, visiting Aborigines, common travelling issues, and things she didn't expect to learn during her semester.  She even recommended a few travelling books by "Lonely Planet".  Jady was able to tell me some of her favorite stories about trying new foods and outdoor activities and even about driving on the wrong side of the road and on the opposite side of the car!  She even encouraged me to stay a month after my semester abroad ended so that I could take more time to travel without restrictions.  I hadn't even thought of the idea!  Now I have all of these leads for interesting travel books that I could possibly use for a few weeks of uncharted adventure on my own at the end of my school semester.  The best part is that Australia has so much diversity within its own country: deserts, ocean views, rainforests, and thriving cities.  Even more so, Australia has so much surrounding it: New Zealand, Tasmania, Thailand, Fiji, and a bunch of other gorgeous islands.  I can't believe that in 11 weeks I will be on a plane to Australia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment